In order to ensure the process of purchasing, building or remodeling your new home is an enjoyable experience and that your home is well constructed, it is important that you take an active role from the beginning. To help achieve satisfaction and avoid misunderstandings, home buyers and home owners who are remodeling need to take steps to ensure that there will be no unpleasant surprises. There are several things homeowners can do to ensure their home meets all their expectations.
- The importance of choosing the right builder for you cannot be underestimated. When you look for a builder, find someone with whom you can communicate and develop a positive working relationship.
- Make sure your builder is licensed, bonded and insured. Ask for references from previous clients.
- Ask the builder for a copy of the warranty and take time to review it before you begin the design phase or during the inspection process.
- Prepare a good contract that covers all the issues of payment, performance, warranty schedule and dispute resolution.
- Don't necessarily take the lowest bid. A contractor who is the right fit for your project will usually give you the best value-without cutting corners.
- Meet with your contractor regularly during the course of construction to resolve any problems may arise during the course of the work (e.g. change orders, cost overruns, modifications in design, changes in specified materials).